Today is Blog Action Day, a day in which bloggers around the world post on a single topic. This year the topic is Human Rights, with the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights as the guideline for subjects to write about.
Regular readers of my blog will not be surprised that I am writing about the most basic and important human right: the right to life. None of the other rights are of any value if you aren’t alive to enjoy them. Yet millions of babies are slaughtered in the womb simply because their mothers or others with power over the mothers think the babies’ lives are of no value.
The UN declaration includes three articles that pertain to the right to life. The following is taken from the UN declaration (emphasis within body of articles added):
- Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.
- Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.
- Everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law.
Abortion stops a beating heart. There is plenty of scientific evidence that life begins at conception. Mothers who see their babies on an ultrasound are much less likely to choose abortion because they see their child is a living being. Nothing is more precious than human life, and someday, it will be protected in the womb as well as in the world. Future generations will look back and wonder how we could have allowed unborn children to be killed indiscriminately the same way we look back and wonder how our ancestors could have enslaved other people and treated them as less than human.
Here are some of the posts I’ve written about abortion and the right to life:
- Murder Has Been Legal for 40 Years
- Now Choose Life So You and Your Children May Live
- National Adoption Month
- Absolute Truth vs Personal Opinion
- The Case Against Abortion
- Abortion: Legalized Murder
- Another Year, Another Million and a Half Dead Babies
- A Thirty-Six Year Tragedy
- The Most Basic Human Right: Life
- Slavery and Abortion: Moral Relatives