What I Edit
- Book Manuscripts (fiction and nonfiction)
- Articles and Reports
- Business Documents (manuals, correspondence, white papers, and more)
- Other Documents
How I Quote a Price
- I will do a free sample edit (roughly five pages of a book-length manuscript) for two reasons:
- To make certain I understand the kind and amount of editing you want, as well as to determine if I am knowledgeable about the genre of your writing.
- To ensure that you are satisfied with the edits.
- In addition to the pages to edit, you also need to submit two other documents:
- A brief questionnaire giving additional information about the manuscript.
- A synopsis (for fiction) or chapter outline/summary (for nonfiction).
- The sample should be comparable to the bulk of the project; if you have polished the first chapter over and over again but done only a first draft on later chapters, I need to see a sample from a later chapter.
- I will send you two files:
- An “edits” copy using Word’s Track Changes with all the mark-ups showing so you can see every change I made.
- A clean copy with all the changes accepted so you can read the finished product without being distracted by the markups.
- Based on the time required for the sample edit, the length of the complete manuscript, your answers the questions, and the synopsis (or chapter outline), I can give you a quote for the cost and time to complete the project.
How I Edit
- Every edit includes at least three reads of the manuscript and the following kinds of edits (the first two may be done simultaneously):
- Copy/line/mechanical edit (correct grammar, punctuation, mechanics; verify facts and ensure consistency; clarify meaning and improve readability).
- Content/structural/substantive edit (revise/move text for better flow; recommend the addition or deletion of material; re-organize and re-structure content for flow and clarity).
- Proofreading (final review of entire manuscript after all changes have been made, including those made by other readers, if applicable).
- I will create a draft of each chapter (or other reasonable breakdown of the manuscript) to send to you for approval. As with the sample edit, you will receive both a marked-up copy and a clean copy.
- You can respond to the draft by marking changes on the document (the clean copy) itself (preferably using Word’s Track Changes), sending me notes in an e-mail, or discussing by phone.
- I will revise the draft and return to you; we repeat this as many times as needed to get the project to your satisfaction.
- If you have other readers (such as subject matter experts) who will be giving input, y0u should submit any changes you accept from their recommendations before the editing is finalized.
- After you are satisfied, I send you a file with the final copy.
What Publishing Services I Offer
- Evaluate the different forms of publishing to determine if self-publishing is the best for you.
- Review the steps and services required to write and publish a book.
- Compare using a subsidy publishing company to doing everything yourself.
- If you choose to use a company, compare the services and costs of various companies.
- If you choose to do it yourself, recommend vendors for various services.
- Advise on promotion, especially website and Internet marketing.
- Serve as a resource throughout the process to answer questions and assist in resolving problems.
- Perform a complete content edit of the manuscript (see Editing above).
- Assist with obtaining ISBNs and registering copyright.
- Format the manuscript for publication.
- Negotiate and contract with a cover artist and book designer on your behalf or perform these services for you.
- Write back cover blurb.
- Proof the cover and completed layout.
- Negotiate and contract with a printer on your behalf or set up account with a POD printer.
- Create e-book formats and upload to sales sites.
- Advise on promotion, create a website, and assist with social media.
- Serve as a liaison among all parties involved in the publication, distribution, and promotion of the book to ensure production of a quality product within an established timeframe.
How I Work
- I will provide you with a detailed project task list and timeline, indicating who has to perform the task and when it is due.
- Edit the manuscript as described above.
- Format the manuscript for print and/or ebook.
Assist you with finding professionals for all tasks required, helping you do it yourself, or providing the service for you.
What I Write
- Blog posts
- Training manuals
- Policy handbooks
- News releases
- Other business documents
- Books (ghost writer)
How I Work
- You can e-mail me with your needs and information to be included or tell me where to find the information I need.
- If you prefer, we can visit by phone to discuss your needs and make sure I understand what you are looking for.
- After I have a good understanding of the desired end product and the amount of research and writing involved, I will give you a quote for the total cost.
- I will prepare a draft for your review, make changes based on your feedback, and return for your review until you are satisfied.
Ask for a Quote
- Use the contact form below or email me at moc.nnammaeillilnull@eillil to request a quote.
- Describe the project:
- Topic/subject matter, type of writing (blog, employee manual, correspondence, etc.), and length (250 words, 50 pages of 12 pt font, 10000 words, etc.).
- Include the timeframe and whether the stated deadline is required or desired.
- Explain whether you will provide the information or sources or if I must do research to gather the information needed.
- I will respond with a quote—if you have other ideas, you will be asked to clarify what you need to ensure that I understand what you want and that I can provide what you want.
How You and I Complete the Project
- I will write a short document or a chapter (or some other logical breakdown) of a long document at a time and send to you for approval.
- You will review the chapter, mark any changes you want made, and return it to me. If you feel I am getting off-track, we will talk about it so I can make appropriate changes. If there are significant changes, I will send the chapter to you again for review.
- The second installment of 1/3 of the cost is due at the midpoint of the project. After you have accepted all the individual chapters, I will read the entire manuscript again and make edits.
- I will send you the final copy for review and approval.
- After you have given your approval, I will edit the entire manuscript.
- After the edit, I will return the document to you for final approval.
- The standard hourly rate for all services is $100/hour, with a two-hour minimum.
- Billing and payment schedules are as follows:
- For smaller projects, a deposit will be required to begin work, and the balance is due upon completion of the project.
- Fees for website hosting and maintenance depend on the size and the complexity. Website charges will be billed monthly or annually (discounted) in advance.
- Major projects, such as book editing and website development, will be billed at a project fee, determined in advance by the scope of work and a small sample. Large projects require a deposit of 1/3 of the total price upon acceptance of the proposal. A payment of 1/3 is required at the midpoint, and the final 1/3 payment is due upon completion.
- A rush charge is added when the client does not allow enough lead time for the job. Client will be notified in advance if the rush charge applies.
- A cancellation fee may apply if a contracted project is cancelled or delayed after we have set aside the time.
- Payment may be made by check or PayPal.
- I am completely responsible for all work done for you; however, I may not do all the work. My associate, Jan McClintock, does most of the web work and ebook formatting, and I review her work before we consider it finished. On large book jobs, she may also do some of the editing or layout; again I will review the final product, and I am responsible for the work.
- We maintain strict confidentiality of all your information.
- If we provide original content for hire, the copyright to your documents and website is transferred to you as soon as the final payment is made.