A Thirty-Six Year Tragedy
January 22, 2009 by Lillie
Today is the 36th anniversary of Roe v Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion in the US. In those 36 years, nearly 50 MILLION babies have been denied the right to life.
- How many of them would have been scientists or researchers who discovered cures for diseases or improved food production methods?
- How many of them would have been city council members, state legislators, Senators, Congressmen, even President?
- How many of them would have composed beautiful music, created masterpieces of art, or written inspiring books?
- How many of them would have become entrepreneurs or doctors or lawyers or ministers or social workers or factory workers or teachers or maintenance men or managers?
- How many would have brought joy to their loved ones by their lovely smiles, their generous natures, their giving hearts?
Their deaths in the womb destroyed their chances of being the persons God created them to be. The Bible talks about the sanctity of life created by God in His own image.
I’ve written about the sanctity of life in The Most Basic Human Right: Life and Slavery and Abortion: Moral Relatives. In the post In Memory of 40 Million Aborted Babies, I linked to this powerful message: Think of Me Turning 34 Today. Just change 34 to 36 and realize how many more people aren’t turning 36 today.
O GOD, merciful and compassionate, who art ever ready to hear the prayers of those who put their trust in thee; Graciously hearken to us who call upon thee, and grant us thy help in this our need; end the evil of abortion and let the children live. In the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.