Jesus is the reason for the season. Christmas is celebrating the coming of Christ to earth as a tiny babe in a manger to give us all eternal life. That should always be our focus.
However, gift-giving has long been part of our Christmas traditions. The Wise Men worshipped and gave gifts to the Christ Child. The tradition of Santa Claus came from Saint Nicholas, a bishop known for giving gifts to the poor.
Giving gifts to family and friends is a way to show our love for them. Our gifts don’t have to be lavish or expensive. In fact, the best gifts are often simple and inexpensive.
- Coupons that can be redeemed for babysitting, shopping, running errands, or other chores can be a real treat for a busy mom, an individual with limitations that make those chores difficult, or anyone who enjoys being pampered.
- Volunteering together to help with a charity toy drive or a party for disadvantaged children can create special Christmas memories for everyone involved.
- Recipients cherish handmade gifts and value the time and effort the giver puts into creating the gift.
- When you buy gifts, choose them to match the recipient’s interests, even if the cost is low and the gift isn’t a typical choice. The purpose isn’t to impress people with how much money you spend or how glamorous the gift is. The purpose is to show your love and give pleasure to someone you care about.
Of course, I may be just a tad biased, but I can’t think of a better gift than a book. Choosing a title and genre that appeals to the reader on your list demonstrates that you pay attention to their interests. For suggestions on great books (she said modestly), visit these pages of my Web site:
- My books—books I’ve written
- My clients’ books—books I’ve edited for clients
- My guests’ books—books I’ve reviewed or by authors I’ve interviewed
If you don’t find the perfect book there, you can also find information about great books at the following sites:
- Books We Love—promotional site for authors of books is all genres and formats, with a contest going on now
- Goodreads—reader community with reviews and ratings from readers
- Nothing Binding—site featuring independent authors of books in all genres
- Book Hitch—search engine for books of all kinds
You can find equally wonderful gifts for people on your list with interests other than reading. What does he love to do? What is her favorite indulgence? What would smiles on their faces? When you can answer those questions, gift-giving is made easy.
Don’t forget to download my gift to you: Scripture/prayer cards that have a Bible verse on one side and a prayer on the other. You can download a PDF file and print the cards on your own computer printer. Reading one of the cards can create a brief moment of devotion in a busy day.
Wishing you a blessed and joyous Christmas!