Today is Valentine’s Day, a day for love. We usually celebrate romantic love on this special day, but there are many forms of love that we can celebrate today.
Last year, I was alone of Valentine’s Day for the first time in 46 years. I wrote about my experiences and shared how the most important way to show love is to spend time with the one you love.
Think about the people that you love:
- If you have living parents/grandparents, a phone call or a visit would mean a lot on this special day.
- If you have children at home, making Valentines and giving them to family, friends, and classmates can be a fun shared experience for you and your children and a special gift to the recipients.
- If you have grown children and/or grandchildren, they may be busy with their own romantic or family activities, but they would certainly appreciate hearing from you.
- If you have friends or neighbors who are elderly or lonely, a visit with a small gift in recognition of the day would brighten their day far more the small amount of time and effort it would take you.
- If you support worthy causes, such as organizations that feed the hungry, house the homeless, support the persecuted, help others in need, a donation in honor or memory of someone you love will show your love both for the one your honor and ones you help.
I can’t call you or send you a Valentine card, but I will tell you, “Happy Valentine’s Day! May you love and be loved today and every day!”
O Lord, Send down thy blessings, temporal and spiritual, upon all our relations, friends, and neighbours. Reward all who have done us good, and pardon all those who have done or wish us evil, and give them repentance and better minds. Be merciful to all who are in any trouble; and do thou, the God of pity, administer to them according to their several necessities; for his sake who went about doing good, thy Son our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen. (from 1928 Book of Common Prayer)
But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love. (1 Corinthians 13:13, NASB)
Image: © Depositphotos.com/livfriis