Matt at The Article Writer has declared Death To The Meme Movement! and Liz at Successful Blog asks What Do You Call a Meme that Isn’t a Meme?
I see a lot of blog memes – where one blogger tags others to answer questions or take some other action and tag other bloggers … and so on and so on and so on. The first few times I was tagged, I responded to every one. I even started one on Life Balance and got a lot of great perspectives from other posts I read.
Lately, I have participated in some and avoided others. I decide whether to participate or not based on whether the meme helps to meet my goals for this blog.
Listing my 15 favorite stars or checking off the titles of books I’ve read, while fun and interesting, doesn’t meet my blogging goals.
I’ll begin with my goals for my blog:
- Introduce my readers to books and authors, especially my clients and their books.
- Give practical writing advice and help to “non-writers” who have to write for their jobs and daily lives – whether this means directing them to resources that can improve their writing, sharing tips I’ve found helpful, or guiding them in finding professional help.
- Inspire, motivate, and educate other writers through my experiences as a freelance writer and editor.
- Provide information about publishing, especially self-publishing, small press, and electronic publishing.
- Distribute information and resources that I find interesting, inspiring, and useful.
- Share my faith, values, and causes important to me.
- Bring a little joy, sunshine, and happiness into my readers’ lives, at least once in a while.
Goals in My Freelance Writing Business:
- Provide such outstanding quality and service that my clients won’t even think about hiring another writer or editor.
- Help my clients produce work (books, business documents, whatever) that sounds like them – only better.
- Be selective about the projects I accept so I can focus on every one – and still have time to sleep and eat!
- Earn an income that allows me to live comfortably without financial stress.
Personal and Other Goals:
- Take frequent breaks and get out of the office to spend time with my husband throughout the day.
- Get enough rest. I’m compulsive and so focused that I find it hard to quit working, and when I get over-tired, I have neurological problems.
- Spend Sunday as a day of rest, for both physical and spiritual reasons.
- Post all the great articles ready to be uploaded at Your Information Center and promote the site to earn money for the writers and editors as well as the company through affiliate links and advertising.
- Continue to do volunteer work for my church and for the EPIC New Voices writing competition.
- Publish Dream or Destiny, a romantic mystery I wrote several years ago.
My Overarching Goal Above All Other Goals:
‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ (Matthew 22: 37-39, NIV)
Since I don’t know whether a specific meme will meet the goals of specific bloggers, I’m not going to tag individuals. But I’d love to learn about the goals of anyone willing to participate. Consider yourself tagged!
[tags]Gotta Get Goals, meme, goals[/tags]