Today is Armed Forces Day, observed every year since 1950 to honor the member of all branches of the Armed Services and thank them for their service.
The theme is this year’s observance is “United in Strength. We are so proud that the various branches within the Department of Defense are “United in Strength” to protect our freedoms.
Thank you to each and every person who is serving our country in the military or who has done so in the past.
If you want to show your support of our troops and thank them for their service, you have a variety of options. Here are just a few:
- Adopt-a-Chaplain—”a Christ-centered ministry that is dedicated to supporting our troops through the ministries of chaplains.”
- AnySoldier.com—individual soldiers coordinate requests from troops in their units and donations by volunteers.
- Books for Soldiers—troops can request specific books, DVDs, and games, and volunteers send the requested items.
- Let’s Say Thanks—create and send online cards to troops.
- Operation EBook Drop: Free Books for Deployed Soldiers—authors donate free e-books to deployed soldiers.
- Soldiers’ Angels—”Through special projects, dedicated teams and individuals supporting our troops, we make a visible difference in the lives of our service members and their families.”
You can find an extensive list of many, many more organizations that support our troops at Support Our Troops. You’re bound to find the right one for you.
O LORD God of Hosts, stretch forth, we pray thee, thine almighty arm to strengthen and protect the soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines of our country. Support them in the day of battle, and in the time of peace keep them safe from all evil; endue them with courage and loyalty; and grant that in all things they may serve without reproach; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.