As Domestic Violence Awareness Month comes to an end, I hope you have learned more about this serious problem. But, as one reader asked in a comment on an earlier post in this series, the question is this: What can we do?
Here are some suggestions on how you and I can help:
- Be aware: know what domestic violence is and understand the pervasiveness and seriousness of the problem.
- Know the signs of abuse and be alert for them in people you know.
- Take action if you see signs that make you suspect someone is being abuse.
- Find resources and more resources and even more resources.
- Join the Million Voices Campaign to help raise awareness and advocate for the cause.
- Contribute to organizations that work to raise awareness, prevent abuse, and support victims.
- Comment (with a relevant comment using a real name) on this or any post in this series by midnight Central time October 31, 2009, and I will donate $5 to the National Domestic Violence Hotline (NDVH). Order a copy of Dream or Destiny, and I will donate another $5 to NDVH.
No one should live in fear or die at the hands of someone who is supposed to love them.